We’ve spoken to our candidates and as many companies are moving to remote working at present one query that has been raised is around ‘virtual interviews’ – if you need assistance in this or advice please call. One of our team, Louise, has also written some great tips and advice on this…
As major companies look to make job interviews virtual due to the coronavirus outbreak, for the protection of candidates and interviewers, here are a few tips to help you to succeed.
Virtual interview present unique challenges including using technology, managing locations and displaying interest and abilities.
- Make sure that the system you will be using works, test internet connectivity and camera to avoid technical glitches or dropped calls.
- Ensure your email address or Skype username is simple and professional – avoid nicknames.
- If you to Skype or video calling familiarise yourself with it and understand how it works.
- Position the camera so the interviewers can view most of your top half and can see hand gestures and gauge body language.
- Prepare for the interview and practice answering common interview questions such as why are you leaving your job? What are your strengths/weaknesses? Salary requirements? Make notes and place them where they are easy to see.
- Remember this is a two-way conversation and have some questions prepared to get to know the employer better.
- Choose a good location with minimal distractions, if at home turn off the TV and put your mobile on silence. Ensure the setting is clean and tidy and businesslike – ideally opt for a neutral background.
- Dress appropriately as you would for a face-to-face person interview (head to toe in case you have to get up for something), it is important to make a good impression.
- Maintain a good body posture, try to maintain eye contact and avoid looking around and looking at yourself in the corner screen.
- Speak clearly, have organised answers and have confident body language.
Writen by: Louise McCluskey on 2020-03-24
See more posts by: Louise McCluskey.
See all posts.